Cauliflowers are currently in season in New Zealand, you can get a whole cauliflower for under $4. We love cooking whole cauliflowers, it is a great way to use them up when you have many popping up ready at the same time in your garden. Roasted cauliflower tastes a whole lot better than boiled cauliflower. We decided for this meal to also glaze an eggplant which tasted amazing.
– 1 whole cauliflower (and 1 eggplant)
– 2 cloves garlic, crushed
– 2 t ginger, finely grated
– 3 T dark soy sauce
– 3 T sweet chilli (omit for kids if you want it milder)
– 1 t honey
– 1 T sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C .
2. Put cauliflower into roasting dish with a lid. Cook for 30 minutes with the lid on to prevent burning the top of the cauliflower.
3. Meanwhile combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sweet chilli (if using) and honey in a bowl.
4. Remove lid after 30 minutes of cooking and baste in the sauce using a pastry brush. Cook cauliflower for another 60 minutes basting with sauce every 15 minutes during the cook.
5. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds after the last time you baste the cauliflower.
6. Serve hot with white rice.