This is a versatile vegetarian mixture which can be used to make sausages, patties or meatballs. The mushrooms and thyme give it a lovely savoury flavour and the peanuts provide a nice texture. It is high in protein as it contains lentils/black beans, tofu and nuts. We have used carrot and spinach in this recipe but these could easily be substituted for whatever you have in the fridge such as capsicum, zucchini or beetroot or any leafy greens.
– 1 onion, quartered
– 1/2 carrot, grated
– 1 handful spinach
– 4 button mushrooms
– 1/2 C Peanuts
– 1 can lentils or black beans
– 1 block tofu
– 2 T soy sauce
– 1/2 T smoked paprika
– 1/2 T cumin
– 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
– 1 sprig fresh oregano leaves
– 1 C flour
1. Place onion in food processor and blend until finely chopped.
2. Add carrot, spinach, mushrooms and peanuts and blend until chopped and combined.
3. Add lentils or black beans and blend until combined.
4. Remove mixture from food processor and crumble in tofu. Add soy sauce, smoked paprika, cumin, thyme and oregano and mix until well combined.
5. Stir in flour then shape into sausages or patties.
6. Place on oiled baking tray and bake for 30 minutes at 180°C, turning after 20 minutes of cooking.
7. Serve as a burger or hot dog.
– vegetarian sausages (recipe above)
– 6 long rolls
– 1 onion
– 1 C grated cheese
– tomato sauce
– america mustard
1. Finely chop onion and fry off in 1 T of oil in a fry pan.
2. Cut rolls lengthwise.
3. Place a handful of cheese inside each bun and add a vegetarian sausage.
4. Sprinkle over a handful of onion and top with tomato sauce and american mustard.
Vegetarian Big Macs
– vegetarian patties (recipe above)
– 4 burger buns
– 8 slices of cheese
– 1/3 onion, finely chopped
– 3 gherkins, sliced
– 1 C lettuce, shredded
– burger sauce
1. When patties are flipped during cooking add a slice of cheese so it melts nicely on top.
2. Slice buns into 3 segments.
3. Toast buns in oven for 2 minutes.
4. Lay out bottom, middle and top of buns.
5. Cover bottom and middle bun with burger sauce.
6. Place a patty on bottom and middle bun.
7. Top with onion, pickles and lettuce.
8. Assemble 3 layers.