Classic sponge cake makes for a great morning or afternoon tea with a hot cup of tea or coffee. This one is filled with cream and strawberries but you could fill yours with whatever you wish. Any type of fresh fruit, lemon curd or jam would be perfect fillings for this fluffy sponge cake. I have decorated this one with gerberas for my Step Mother’s birthday. I love how fresh flowers make cakes look great with very little effort.
– 200g caster sugar
– 200g butter, softened
– 4 eggs, beaten
– 200g plain flour
– 2 1/2 t baking powder
– 2 T milk
– 500ml cream
– 1 t vanilla essence
– 1/4 C icing sugar
– 1/2 punnet strawberries
– flowers for decorating
1. Preheat the oven to 190 °C. Grease two 20cm cake tins with butter or alternatively line with baking paper.
2. In a mixer combine caster sugar, softened butter, beaten eggs, flour, baking powder and milk. Mix until you have a smooth fluffy batter.
3. Divide mixture between two tins and smooth with the back of a spoon.
4. Bake for approximately 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool.
6. Meanwhile, beat cream until think then stir in icing sugar and vanilla. Slice strawberries.
7. To assemble, place one sponge on a serving plate. Top with a layer of cream followed by a layer of sliced strawberries. Then carefully place on second layer and top with the remaining cream. Cut stems off flowers and arrange on the top of the cake.