I am a big wonton lover and was determined to keep eating them when we switched to a vegetarian diet. What really makes a good wonton is making sure you get a deliciously crispy outside with a juicy flavourful inside. The star of the show of these vegetarian wontons is the ginger. They are super easy to cook and will please the whole family.
– 1 packet of pre-made wonton wrappers
– 4 C baby spinach
– 1/2 red onion, quartered
– 3 garlic cloves, crushed
– 4cm knob of fresh ginger
– 1 t ground coriander
– 1/2 C peanuts
– 1/2 t chili oil
– oil for deep frying
– your favourite dipping sauce
1. Combine all filling ingredients in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
2. Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture in the centre of each wonton wrapper and bring edges to the middle and twist to seal.
3. Meanwhile, fill a small saucepan halfway with oil and heat to a high temperature. Alternatively, you can use a deep-fryer.
4. Deep-fry wontons in batches for approximately 4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
5. Let wontons drain on a baking rack.
6. Serve with favourite dipping sauce – we used a combination of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and chili oil.