This has been a popular activity during lock down. I have seen this idea shared around a lot using animal toys. It turns out we don’t have many animals to use so instead we used a toy dinosaur, The Flash figurine and some geometric shape blocks from a sorting toy. I thought it was going to be a bit difficult for my 3.5 year old and 2 year old but I was surprised at how well they were able to trace the shapes. Have a look around and see what toys you have that would make great shadows and give it a go.
– toys – animals, figurines, blocks
– flat surface and sunshine
1. Find a sunny spot on at an outdoor table or on a concrete driveway.
2. Stand toy up next to paper and project shadow onto paper.
3. Use a pencil to sketch around the shadow shape.