What a fun Christmas themed activity making salt dough decorations is. My kiddos absolutely loved this one. They were fully engaged and are super proud to have their own decorations displayed on the Christmas tree. This activity was completed over a couple of days as we made the dough shapes on one day and then painted and decorated them on another day. There were plenty of skills to practice in this activity such as mixing and kneading the dough, cutting out the shapes, painting and sticking.
Salt Dough –
– 4 C flour
– 1 C salt
– 1 1/2 C warm water
– cookie cutters
– metal straw
For Decorating –
– sponges or paint brushes
– clear nail polish or glitter nail polish
1. Whisk together flour and salt. Slowly add water while stirring until mixture comes together.
2. Knead until a soft dough is formed, about 5 minutes.
3. Roll out dough and use cookie cutters to cut into shapes. Use a metal straw to cut out a hole in each decoration to attach string to later.
4. Place on baking trays lined with baking paper and bake at 150 °C for 1 hour or until hard.
5. Once fully cooled paint and let dry before adding stickers. Finally coat each decoration with clear nail polish to lock in paint colour and make them shiny.
6. Thread string/twine through each decoration and hang on the tree.