The nights are getting cooler and the feijoas are falling in the masses. The perfect dessert that comes to mind is a nice warm crumble. Such a simple recipe to make and the leftovers are a yummy treat for breakfast. We also have an abundance of rhubarb at the moment and it pairs so well with the flavour of the feijoas.
– 6 stems of rhubarb
– 15 feijoas
– 3 apples
– 1/3 C brown sugar
– 1/3 C water
– 25g butter
-1/2 C flour
– 1 t baking powder
– 1/2 C oats
– 1/2 C white sugar
– 1/2 C thread coconut
– 100g butter
1. Cut rhubarb into 2cm chunks. Cut feijoas in half and scoop out the flesh. Remove the core from the apples and cut into bite sized pieces.
2. Place prepared fruit, brown sugar, water and first measure of butter in a saucepan. Cook fruit mixture for about 15 minutes or until all fruit is tender.
3. Preheat oven to 190 °C.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, oats, white sugar and thread coconut in a bowl. Cut butter into small cubes and rub into flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles bread crumbs.
5. Place fruit mixture into the bottom of an ovenproof dish and sprinkle over crumble mixture.
6. Bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Serve warm with ice cream, custard or cream.