Thursday is Abigail’s day home from kindy. We spend the morning at playgroup then she has her swimming lesson with myself or Grandad which she absolutely loves. I always try to organise an activity for us to do together in the afternoon each Thursday because we are all home together. Today she suggested we make pudding. I gave her the option of sponge and crumble and she chose sponge so here you go. We used plums as they are currently in season in New Zealand but this could be made with any fruit that cooks well. I love getting my kids in the kitchen working together. Learning to share and help each other as well as learning important cooking techniques. Abi said “I will hold the bowl for Miles while he stirs”. We have to take note of these lovely caring moments when they happen in our chaotic days chasing our toddlers.
– 13 plums
– 125g butter
– 1/2 t vanilla essence
– 1/2 C sugar
– 2 eggs
– 1 C flour
– 2 t baking powder
– 2 T milk
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Slice plums in half and remove the stones.
3. Place plums into oven proof dish.
4. Cream butter, vanilla and sugar together in a bowl.
5. Beat in eggs one at a time.
6. Sift in flour and baking powder. Fold into mixture with milk.
7. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Serve with your choice of ice cream, cream or yoghurt.