This pesto pastry Christmas tree is so easy to do and tastes delicious. The pesto is super yummy but if you prefer you can use a store brought version if you wish. It will look great on the table at Christmas or for you Christmas themed morning tea.
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 C fresh basil
- 1/2 C parsley
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/4 C peanuts
- 1/4 C grated parmesan
- 1/3 C grapeseed oil
- juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Roughly chop basil, parsley and peanuts and place in a bowl.
- Add garlic and parmesan.
- Whizz with hand blender until combined.
- Slowly add grapeseed oil and whizz until it comes together.
- Stir in lemon just and add salt and pepper.
- Place baking paper onto an oven tray.
- Cut both pieces of pastry into a triangle shape (see pictures) and place a small rectangle at the bottom to be the tree trunk.
- Place one of the pastry triangles onto the baking paper and cover in pesto.
- Place second pastry on top.
- Using a sharp knife cut slits along the sides of the pastry leaving a 1-2cm gap in the middle as the tree trunk.
- Twist these segments.
- Cut a star shape out of pastry and place at the top of the tree.
- Whisk egg and brush over tree.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake pastry at 200°C for approximately 15 minutes.