My daughter turned 4 on the weekend and I wanted to try out a different party activity for her birthday and this is what I came up with – Paint Your Own Cookies. The kids absolutely loved getting creative with edible paint from M & M’s food colouring and getting to eat their creations. This would also make an awesome addition to a goodie bag. You don’t have to wait for a party this could also be great for entertaining the kids in the holidays.
– 2 C flour
– 1/2 t baking soda
– 1 T ground ginger
– 1 C brown sugar
– 150g butter, cubed
– 1 egg, beaten
– 1 T golden syrup
– 1 packet store brought white fondant
– 1 black edible marker pen
– 1 packet m & m’s
– icing sugar mixed with water to make an edible paste
– paintbrushes and jars of water
1. Line 2 baking trays and preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, ginger and sugar in a food processor.
3. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Add egg and golden syrup and pulse to mix.
5. Remove dough and place in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and cut into equal rectangles (I made 14 biscuits).
7. Place spaced apart on lined tray and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown. Allow to completely cool on wire rack.
8. Roll out fondant and cut into 14 smaller rectangles which will cover approximately two-thirds of the biscuits.
9. Draw the outline of pictures onto your cookies (I did fish, unicorns, rainbows, flowers etc).
10. Apply a small amount of icing sugar and water mixture to the back of the fondant and glue to your cookies.
11. Finally, use the icing sugar and water mixture to stick M & M’s to each cookie.
12. Let the children get creative painting their cookies by dipping a paintbrush in water and then onto each M & M to colour in their image.