You asked for more vegetarian recipes and you got it. Here is a delicious onion bhaji halloumi that ticks all the boxes. It is crispy, saucy and has squeaky cheese. A perfect recipe to make the family this long weekend.
– 4 portabello mushrooms
– 1 block halloumi
– 1 tomato
– 4 lettuce leaves
– 4 burger buns
– relish (we used apricot and capsicum relish)
– 1 onion
– 2 t curry powder
– 1 C chickpea flour
Turmeric Pickled Courgette
– 1/4 C vinegar
– 1/4 C water
– 1 T sugar
– 1 t turmeric
– 1 courgette
1. To prepare courgette combine vinegar, water, sugar and turmeric in a small bowl. Use a peeler to peel courgette into thin ribbons. Place courgette ribbons into pickling mixture and leave to pickle while preparing rest of the burger ingredients.
2. To prepare onion combine curry powder and chickpea flour in a bowl. Add just enough water to make a thick paste. Slice onion and coat in batter to make 4 bhaji patties. Heat oil and deep/shallow fry until brown approximately 5 minutes each side.
3. Cut halloumi into thick slices and fry in a pan with whole mushrooms until browned and cooked through.
4. Wash and pat dry lettuce leaves.
5. Slice tomatoes and cut buns in half.
6. To assemble spread relish and aioli over the bottom half of the buns. Place lettuce, tomato and courgette ribbons onto the base. Next put on the onion bhaji followed by mushroom and halloumi. Place lid on burger and serve immediately.