This is a fun little activity that illustrates how oil and water do not mix together but once dish washing liquid is added it binds to the oil and water and helps it mix together. The science is cool for older kids and shaking and watching the coloured liquid move around is fun for the little ones like my little man.
– empty plastic jar with lid
– 1/2 C water
– food colouring
– 1/2 C oil
– 2 t dish washing liquid
1. Fill the jar with water and add a couple of drops of food colouring, stir to combine.
2. Pour oil into the jar and put the lid on. Shake and observe what happens between the oil and water.
3. Add 2 teaspoons of dish washing liquid to the jar. Replace lid and shake for 20 seconds. Observe what happens now that you have added the dish washing liquid to the mixture.
4. Let the kids play with the shaker and watch the liquid move around inside the jar.