This is another recipe I created as part of the Facebook group called Eat More Plants promoted by Alison’s Pantry. We used the nut crumb created by Kelly Gibney which was posted as a challenge on the Eat More Plants Facebook page. The nut crumb halloumi and mushroom burger contains homegrown pickled radish and homemade coriander and peanut pesto. It was very well received on the Eat More Plants page and was featured to promote this weeks challenge on the Alison’s Pantry Facebook page and Instagram.
– 2 radishes – thinly sliced
– ¼ C malt vinegar
– 2 T brown sugar
Nut Crumb –
– ½ C almonds
– ¼ C pistachios
– ½ C macadamia nuts
– ¼ C flour
– 1 t cumin
– ¾ t salt
– ½ t black pepper
– 1 block halloumi – cut into thick slices
– 2 eggs – lightly beaten
– oil for frying
– 1 coriander plant
– 1 handful of spinach
– 2 t dijon mustard
– ½ C peanuts
– ½ C olive oil
– pinch of salt
4 burger buns (we used turkish buns)
4 portabello mushrooms
1. Place malt vinegar and brown sugar in a small bowl and mix to combine. Add radish slices and let it pickle while you prepare other ingredients.
2. Place the almonds, pistachios, macadamias, flour, cumin, salt and pepper into a food processor. Process into a fine crumb.
3. Place the egg in one bowl and the nut crumb in another. Coat each piece of halloumi in egg and then press into the nut crumb. Repeat until you’ve crumbed all the halloumi.
4. Heat oil in a frypan over a medium heat. Cook each piece of halloumi until lightly golden.
5. Fry portabello mushroom in oil until well cooked on both sides.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the coriander pesto by combining coriander, spinach, dijon mustard, peanuts, olive oil and salt in a food processor. Process until all ingredients are chopped into a chunky pesto sauce.
6. To assemble burger – Spread pesto on the base of the bun, then add a few slices of drained pickled radish followed by mushroom and a few sliced of crumbed halloumi and replace the top of the bun. Enjoy.