If you are looking for a vegetarian replacement for fried chicken then this is it. Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable and perfectly holds tasty spiced batters. You can pair fried popcorn cauliflower with your favourite dipping sauce for a snack or side dish. Cauliflower steaks make for a hearty vegetarian burger. We have served ours as a Hawaiian burger with pineapple rings and a simple slaw.
– 1 Cauliflower
– 1 T salt
– 2 T pepper
– 1 T mustard powder
– 1 T ground ginger
– 1 T onion powder
– 1 T garlic powder
– 3 T smoked paprika
– 1 t oregano
– 1 t thyme
– 1 C flour plus some for dusting
– 3 eggs
2 T Mayonnaise
1 C shredded cabbage
1/2 apple cut into matchsticks
1 spring onion sliced
Tinned pineapple rings
Tomato or Barbeque sauce
1. For the cauliflower combine salt, pepper, mustard, ginger, onion, garlic, paprika, oregano, thyme and flour in a bowl.
2. Cut cauliflower into steaks and the rest into florets.
3. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl.
4. Preheat frying pan with 2cm of oil.
5. Coat cauliflower in flour followed by egg wash and spice mix.
6. Fry cauliflower for 3 minutes each side or until golden and crispy.
7. Drain on paper towels.
8. Combine shredded cabbage, matchstick apple pieces, sliced spring onion and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
9. Slice ciabatta buns and warm under the oven grill.
10. Assemble burgers by spreading mayonnaise over the base. Next spoon on some slaw followed by cauliflower steak and barbeque sauce. Top with other half of bun and serve.
11. Serve popcorn cauliflower pieces with dipping sauce of sweet chilli, barbeque or tomato.