Are you wanting to try something a little different this Easter? Perhaps something a little bit quicker than a bread dough? Why not give this hot cross bun waffle a go for the family Easter brunch. The spices in the waffle go perfectly with vanilla or hokey pokey ice cream. We trialed both with and without sultanas and both were delicious. If you prefer a smooth waffle leave them out and if you want to add a different texture then add them in. These got the tick from the whole family.
– 3 eggs, separated
– 2 C milk
– 1/2 t salt
– 2 T mixed spice
– 1/2 t cinnamon
– 1/4 t ground cloves
– 2 1/4 C flour
– 3 T brown sugar
– 3 t baking powder
– 100g butter, melted plus extra for cooking
– 1 C sultanas (optional)
– ice cream to serve
1. Whisk together egg yolks, milk, salt, mixed spice, cinnamon and cloves.
2. Add flour, brown sugar and baking powder and whisk until smooth. Chill in fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
3. When ready to cook, heat waffle iron.
4. Mix in cooled melted butter and stir in sultanas if using.
5. Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form, fold into mixture.
6. Melt a small amount of butter onto waffle iron to prevent sticking and help waffles crisp up.
7. Pour approximately 1/2 a cup of mixture into waffle iron and cook for a few minutes until golden brown and crispy. Repeat until all mixture is gone.
8. Serve warm with ice cream.