Lamingtons are a lot of fun for little ones to make and don’t require a lot of ingredients. Dunking the sponge into the chocolate icing and sprinkling over the coconut can be a bit messy but they will really enjoy themselves.
– 3 eggs
– 1 t vanilla essence
– 1/2 C castor sugar
– 3/4 C self-raising flour
– 1/4 C cocoa powder
– 100ml boiling water
– 1 1/2 C icing sugar
– 1 C shredded/desiccated coconut
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 16cm by 26cm cake tin with baking paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, place eggs and vanilla essence and beat in an electric mixer until thick and creamy.
3. Gradually add sugar, beat until sugar dissolves and mixture triples in volume.
4. Sift in flour and gently fold with a metal spoon until just combined.
5. Pour mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 20 minutes or until cake is golden and skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool slightly then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Once cooled, cut into 20 squares.
8. Combine cocoa powder and boiling water in a bowl and mix until smooth. Add icing sugar and mix until smooth and set aside to cool.
9. Using a fork dip each square into icing and completely cover.
10. Place of rack to allow access to dip off sponge and sprinkle with coconut.
11. Allow icing to set and then serve.