It is currently summer in New Zealand and that means barbeque season. Since we started eating less meat our barbeque has been out of action so we have been creating new recipes that use our barbeque but for vegetarian dishes. The combination of juicy sweet pineapple, salty halloumi and spicy chipotle aioli makes for a delicious salad. If serving this salad as a side dish stick to lettuce and if you wanted it as a main add a grain of your choice.
– 1/2 iceberg lettuce
– 1 large orange kumara
– 2/3 fresh pineapple
– 1 block halloumi
– 1 red capsicum
– 1 red onion
– large handful coriander
– chipotle aioli
– serve on a grain such as couscous, brown rice, freekeh or bulgar wheat
1. Peel and chop kumara into cubes. Cook on barbeque over low heat for approximately 30 minutes until soft and browned.
2. Slice halloumi, capsicum, red onion and pineapple. Cook on barbeque for approximately 10 minutes.
3. Shred ice berg lettuce and cook grain of your choice according to the instructions on the packet.
4. Arrange lettuce and grain on large serving plate.
5. Top with barbequed ingredients and dollop on chipotle aioli.
6. Finely chop coriander and sprinkle over top of the salad.