Banoffee has all the delicious elements you want in a dessert. Crispy buttery base, silky banana caramel, a yummy chocolate layer with fresh banana and cream to top it off. This version is slightly different to your typical banoffee pie as I have added a chocolate layer and used Krispie coconut biscuits in the base. The perfect dessert for family dinner or in this case in place of a birthday cake.
Biscuit Base –
– 250g Krispie Biscuits
– 2 T cocoa
– 130g butter, melted
– 90g butter, diced
– 1/2 C brown sugar
– 2 T golden syrup
– 1 can sweetened condensed milk
– 4 ripe bananas, mashed
– 200g dark chocolate
– 50g butter
– 2 bananas, sliced
– 250ml cream, whipped
– chocolate, grated
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Place biscuits and cocoa in a food processor and process to a fine crumb. Add melted butter and whizz to combine.
3. Press biscuit mixture into a tart tin to cover the base and up the sides. Chill.
4. Melt butter in a pot, add brown sugar and golden syrup and stir until bubbling.
5. Mix in condensed milk and stir constantly for 5 minutes over a low heat.
6. Remove from heat and mix in banana then pour over the base.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes until light golden brown.
8. Cool slightly then allow to cool completely in the fridge.
9. Melt dark chocolate and butter in a microwave proof jug in the microwave for 1 minute. Mix and then spread over caramel. Return to the fridge to set.
10. Prior to serving cover the chocolate layer with sliced banana and whipped cream. Finish with a sprinkle of grated chocolate.