Rhubarb is a hardy easy to grow vegetable. It is super tasty stewed with sugar to balance out its tartness. This dessert will warm you up as the colder autumn nights set in. A baked custard makes for a nice change from a crumble topping which is what I would typically make using my stewed rhubarb.
– 2 1/2 C milk
– 3 eggs
– 1 egg yolk
– 1/3 C caster sugar
– 1 t vanilla essence
– 2 1/2 C rhubarb
– 1/2 C sugar
– 1 T water
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Bring milk almost to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat.
3. Whisk together eggs, egg yolk, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl.
4. Gradually whisk egg mixture into the hot milk.
5. Chop rhubarb into 1cm pieces.
6. Combine rhubarb, sugar and water in a small saucepan.
7. Simmer over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and rhubarb has broken down.
8. Divide rhubarb mixture between 6 ramekins and pour over custard.
9. Place ramekins in a roasting tray and pour boiling water into tray to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
10. Bake for or until mixture is softly set (wobble like jelly in the middle).