If you are looking for a delicious homemade treat then this is it. Caramel slice is my favourite slice. This version has an oat coconut base, a crunchy layer of natural almonds in the middle and is topped off with silky chocolate. Your friends will love morning tea at your place when you serve them up this tasty slice.
– 125g butter
– 3/4 C brown sugar
– 1 C flour
– 1/2 C oats
– 1/2 C desiccated coconut
– 2 x tins sweetened condensed milk
– 150g butter
– 1 t salt
– 1/4 C brown sugar
– 2 T maple syrup
– 1/2 C natural almonds, roughly chopped
Chocolate topping –
– 200g dark chocolate
– 50g butter
– salt, to sprinkle on top
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a slice tin with baking paper.
2. Melt butter and sugar in a pot. Remove from heat and sift in flour. Add oats and coconut, stir to combine. Press mixture into slice tin.
3. Bake in oven for 12 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 160°C.
5. In a pot combine condensed milk, salt, butter, brown sugar and maple syrup. Stir until butter is just melted, then remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
6. Pour caramel over base and sprinkle with almonds. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
7. For the chocolate topping, place chocolate and butter in a microwave proof bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and spread over the caramel.
8. Sprinkle salt over the top and refrigerate until set.