Doing maths outside what a great idea! Both kids had heaps of fun collecting things from our garden. This activity works on both sorting and counting skills.
– basket/bucket/container to collect items in
– paper number from 1 to 6 (or to whatever number you get up to)
– nature items e.g. flowers, rocks, leaves, sticks, fruit, vegetables
1. Go on a garden hunt to find nature items. We found 3 varieties of flowers, rocks, leaves and picked oranges from one of our trees.
2. Set out number paper from 1 to 6.
3. Then get children to put the right amount of items under each number e.g. 1 flower under number 1, 2 oranges under number 2 etc